The NRV 911 Authority offers a comprehensive benefits package and competitive wages to attract and retain employees looking for a rewarding career. On the job training is provided and designed to build skills as a valuable team member.
Our Communications Officers are the vital link between the citizen’s and law enforcement, fire, and EMS agencies within the jurisdictions we serve. Read below to learn more about the benefits we offer along with the job skills and requirements needed to successfully fill this role.
If you are ready for a career that makes a difference – APPLY TODAY.
- $40,000+ minimum starting salary (DOE)
- $1.75/hr shift differential for hours worked between 19:00-07:00
- Paid holiday/leave time
- Paid health & dental insurance
- Virginia Retirement System and optional 401k/457 retirement plans
- Optional benefit plans
- Onsite health clinic
- Full kitchen with balcony
- Dedicated quiet room
- Personal console heaters & fans
- Exercise room with equipment
- Individual lockers
Job Description & Requirements
Check out our Recruitment Brochure
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides public safety dispatch services for emergency and non-emergency purposes for various agencies; keeps track of a wide variety of public safety responders, resources, personnel, and incidents.
- Performs emergency medical dispatch services
- Receives, screens, and takes appropriate action on all emergency service calls to include 911 calls from the public requesting law enforcement, fire and EMS; determines nature and location of emergency, determines priority, dispatches emergency responders/units as necessary in accordance with established policies and procedures; relays pertinent information to law enforcement and emergency services responders.
- Enters call information into the computer-aided dispatch (CAD); inputs, modifies, confirms and validates information through national and state criminal information networks
- Provides information, instructions and assistance to the public within scope of authority; provides detailed call information to first responders as needed; maintains status and awareness of unit locations; monitors message traffic and relays information as required.
- Receives and relays information regarding incidents and other activities to appropriate agencies and staff.
- Performs inquiries and criminal history checks for multiple law enforcement staff through national and statewide systems
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Performing technical, specialized, complex, difficult or technical office support work.
- Reading and explaining rules, policies and procedures.
- Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
- Working under pressure, exercising good judgment and making sound and timely decisions in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Understanding and following oral and written instructions.
- Communicating clearly and concisely in writing during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Recalling, identifying, and categorizing information.
- Performing the full range of public safety dispatching and 9-1-1 duties.
- Effectively listening to, communicating with, and eliciting information from upset, emotional and sick/injured individuals.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Must be citizen of the United States
- Must be 18 years of age
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- Possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License or ability to possess within 30 days
- Ability to read and follow oral and written instructions
- Must be able to work an assigned 12 hour shift (day or night) including weekends and holidays
- Knowledge of computer operations sufficient to enter, retrieve and understand data
- Proficient typing skills
- Successfully complete all phases of pre-employment screening, including criminal background investigation, psychological testing, drug/alcohol screening, physical evaluation, and hearing test
- Successful completion of 40 hour Virginia DCJS basic academy upon appointment to position
- Successfully obtain required certifications within a reasonable amount of time upon appointment to position
When Communications Officer job openings are available, they will be listed here – click the job link and follow the application instructions.
After submission, your job application will be reviewed and a pre-screening background check will be performed. This pre-screening ensures you meet basic hiring standards as defined by the Virginia State Police for VCIN operators.
You will be contacted via email to schedule a date to take the National Dispatcher Selection Test (NDST). The NDST covers a broad range of skills including reading comprehension, multi-tasking, prioritization, etc. and takes approximately 1.5-2 hours to complete.
3. Observation & Panel Interviews
You will be contacted via email to schedule a date for your observation and interviews. The observation consists of a 30-minute period where you will sit within the dispatch center to observe the job in progress and ask any questions that may arise. You will then have two separate interviews – one with a panel consisting of current dispatch staff and one with members of our administrative staff. This entire process will take approximately 1.5 hours.
4. Conditional Offer
If you are selected by the interview panels, you will meet with the Executive Director for a conditional offer of employment. This meeting outlines the pre-employment requirements and process, salary, benefits, and allows you to ask any further questions you may have.
5. Background & Pre-Employment Screenings
A background investigation involving interviews with your references, previous and current employers, references, and other individuals as deemed appropriate will be performed by our background investigator. You will also be contacted at various points during this process to complete your psychological and medical screenings.
6. Start Date & Orientation
Upon the successful completion of the pre-employment background and screenings, your starting date will be established.